Today, on my way home from work, I was biking past a man struggling to keep an enormous backpack on his back. I said hi and got off my bike to see if I could help. But before I could even ask, his friend, Matthew, came and introduced himself to me and gave me a big, warm hug.
I introduced myself and explained my project to him. He was incredibly friendly and delighted to help!
They were walking to the beach to soak up some sun so I walked with them. I asked him what he loves and he said “smashing love into others”. He also loves the sun and the outdoors.
He believes that if you want to make a difference, you must first get people to listen to you. To do that, he said, you must make yourself seem successful — as a speaker, a blogger, a thinker — whatever it is that you do. When people believe you excel at what you do — whether you truly excel or not — they will listen to your message and contribute to the ripple of change.
He pointed to the building behind us and said that the walls could be made out of solar panels if the designers really wanted them to be. He said not to listen to anyone who says otherwise.
I asked him what he believes in. He told me about the 7 Natural Laws of the Universe. I’ve summarized them below:
1. The Principle of Mentalism: all is mind.
2. The Principle of Correspondence: everything corresponds with something else. There are harmonies and agreements in the world. To up there is down. To here there is there.
3. The Principle of Vibration: everything is in constant motion and always has been.
4. The Principle of Polarity: everything is dual and has an opposite.
5. The Principle of Rhythm: everything has a beat and a flow.
6. The Principle of Cause and Effect: every effect has a cause, and every cause, an effect.
7. The Principle of Gender: everything has a gender. Gender is always present.